I have to say it.. I LOVE mojitos’s! They are the perfect summer drink and even if you don’t drink alcohol, you can forget the rum and have a refreshing mock tail.
Here is a simple recipe to make a perfect mojito to enjoy on these hot summer days.
- a muddler
- tall glass
- long spoon
- 1.5 oz Bacardi White Rum (or any other white rum)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- a handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 heaped bar spoons of sugar (white or brown)
- Dash of soda water
- Cubed ice
- To garnish: a sprig of fresh mint
How to make:
1. Put the four lime wedges into a glass, then add the sugar and muddle (squish everything together) to release the lime juice
2. Put the mint leaves on one hand and clap. This bruises the leaves and releases the aroma. Rub the mint leaves around the rim of the glass and drop them in. Use a muddler to gently push the mint down into the lime juice
3. Half fill the glass with ice and pour in the Bacardi Rum. Stir the mix together until the sugar dissolves
4. Top up with ice, a splash of the soda water and garnish it with a sprig of mint
Funny story – any time someone mentions the phrase “add a sprig of anything…” I laugh my butt off… When I was younger my sister and I used to always laugh at this comedy routine of these 2 hilarious Australian comedians on a show called Kath and Kim. They used to do a cooking segment and in these posh voices they would always say “add a sprig of dill darrrrling”. We thought it was the funniest thing, and to this day we still laugh our butts at it. Ahhh anyways….
Enjoy your mojito’s darlings!